A summary of this chapter
The chapter aims to give you an insight about
- how multiple networks are used in everyday life
- Explain the topologies and devices used in a small- to medium-sized business network
- the basic characteristics of a network that supports communication in a small- to medium-sized business.
- trends in networking that will affect the use of networks in small to medium-sized businesses
Sizes of the network
- small home network
- Small office home office (SOHO)
- Medium to Large networks
- World wide networks
Need to understand the relationship between Clients and servers
Server : computers that enable to provide info like
- Email – mail server
- Web pages – web server
- Files – file server
You need to know the THREE categories of the network structure
DEVICES -laptop ,desktop
Medium (plural media)- cables, fibre
Services – email hosting, applications
End devices: either the source or destinanation of the message.
The chapter goes on to talka bout toplogies.
A topology provides a visual map of how the network is connected.
Physical : indentify the physical local of intermediary devices and cable installation
Logical:identify devices , ports abd addressing scheme.
Types of networks
LAN:Local area networks
WAN : Wide area networks
MAN: metropolitan Area networks
WLAN : Wireless Lan
SAN: Storage Area network
Internet , Intranet and Extranet
Internet: collection of interconnected networks
Intranet : a private connection of LANs and WANs that belong to an org
Extranet: providing access to another organisation e.g econet gives an Ecocash (payments and receipts access ) to ZESA for them to check for all ecocash transactions done to them via ecocash ..(this is just an example handina kuti ndozvinoitika !!!!!!!)
these are the rules that move data across the network and the characteristics are
- fault tolerance : when one link is affect it shouldnt affect others
- Scalability : easy to expand
- Quality of service : managing congestion and giving priority of data e.g prioritising your file server over facebook and youtube
- Security :network security and information security
I have attached a summary from Cisco for chapter 1